Friday, February 4, 2011

The Happenings of life at Sea…

This week has been a bit hectic! To begin…we have 9 days at sea from Brazil to Ghana. This allows for a lot of time spent looking at the water, observing that the Atlantic Ocean is blue…really blue, and (for me) a lot of time to hang out with friends and do whatever comes to mind.

I absolutely LOVE life at Sea. We have classes on A-Day and B-Day. I, however, only have classes on B-Day! It’s wonderful :)

My A-Day looks something like this…
~Sleep until I’m interrupted by the morning announcements which are read over the loud intercom.
~Sleep some more until my alarm goes off.
~Sleep a little while longer.
~Finally wake up, shower, get ready for lunch.
~Eat lunch.
~Take a nap and/or watch a movie.
~Meet with my LLC (for my job)…usually takes 30 min.
~Hang out with friends, check my emails, do homework if I feel up to it.
~Go outside and sit on the deck, socialize, hang out…the usual.
~Eat dinner.
~Hang out, sit around, play games, do nothing until bedtime.

My B-Day is a little more hectic but looks something like this…
~Wake up at 8:10am hurry upstairs for breakfast because it closes at 8:30am.
~Eat breakfast.
~Go back to my cabin, get ready for the day.
~Go to Global Studies (catch up on journal for oceanography and social justice while in class)
~Hang out with friends in the computer lab or piano lounge.
~Eat lunch.
~Go to Oceanography…usually a couple min late because I refuse to rush lunch.
~Go to Education…write emails in class because the class is taught as though we are in H.S.
~Go to Social Justice…great class, we usually go outside in small groups and sit on the deck.
~Take a nap.
~Go to dinner.
~Hang out with friends, wait for 10 o’clock snacks (big deal around here because the food isn’t great but the snacks are), and plan trips for other countries…bedtime.

Because we have been at Sea for such a long time we had another “Reading Day.” For those that haven’t heard or do not know the way I learn…let me tell you. It isn’t by reading. I don’t buy books. I know it sounds bad but I have been very successful without buying or reading books. My theory is this: Professors write books and usually require them for their class. Professors also lecture during class. It doesn’t seem, from my experience, that they know much more than what they wrote in their books. So, they also lecture about it. Why would I buy AND read a book that my Professor is going to talk about in class. They often post their power points online, so I consider that my book. Logical thinking, right? I thought so, too! I’ll let you know how this semester goes when I finish but I must say that I am doing quite well as of right now.

Back to “Reading Day”…we had one before Brazil and since I don’t buy books…I didn’t read. The day was spent doing what I do on A-Days. We had another “Reading Day” yesterday but the Shipboard community had what we called the Sea Olympics. It was so much fun! We had the Opening Ceremonies two nights ago. Every Deck is separated into Seas…I am the RA for the Baltic Sea and our color is Light Blue. Everyone signed up to compete in different events such as (volleyball, SAS trivia, synchronized swimming, 3 legged race, etc). We created chants, cheers, and even did the cupid shuffle! The Olympics started at 1:00pm and lasted until 6:00pm then we ate dinner and had the closing ceremonies at 8:00pm. The Baltic Sea came in 3rd place!!! We were quite surprised because we lost valuable points in some competitions due to technical difficulties and/or lack of attention to detail (our synchronized swimming routine was amazing but we went over the time limit and was disqualified). The prize: we are the 3rd sea off the ship in San Diego!!!! To disembark everyone on the ship it takes approx. 8 hours…so this is a huge prize!

Ghana on Sunday…and I couldn’t be more excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment