Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Journey to Hawaii, Part I


Our journey to Hawaii "held us captive" on the ship for 6 full days and 7 nights. That's a long time, especially when you just traveled across the country (or for some of our students, the world) to get to the ship. I actually think this was amazing for our community. Since there was no land in sight, people focused on forming relationships, getting to know each other, ways that we can support each other, and students attended programs that myself and other RDs hosted for the shipboard community.

My cabin was set up and I think the most helpful thing that I brought was an over the door shoe rack. I hung this up on my bathroom door and it easily organizes my medicines, toiletries, and shoes. For those considering sailing or interested in how to fit everything in a small space, this is the trick!

Jan 6
All day student orientation. My responsibility was to guide my sea (Go Baltic!) to each session throughout the day. We started and ended with a sea meeting where I gave updates and insight on my experience sailing as a student, my hopes for them on this voyage, answered all of their questions about life at sea, how to start a club/organization, tips for planning travel, and the likelihood of getting sea sick. Fortunately, I don't typically feel sea sick but… spoiler alert!, we hit rough seas early on.

To end the day, we hosted an Activities Fair. The event started in the Kaisersaal Union where the shipboard community gathered to hear a 60 sec pitch from students who wanted to start and lead an activity or club. The preparation for this event goes back a few months to when one of my colleagues and fellow RD joined the SAS Spring 2019 facebook group and made an announcement about the Activities Fair. He allowed students to comment with the name of the club that they wished to lead and then created a presentation at the Activities Fair that included those organization names as well as allowed time for a few walk-ups.

When it was all said and done, there were 64 organizations formed and voyagers of all ages (even dependent children) are now leaders of a club for the semester.

My favorite clubs are:
1. Let's Explore China – my resident, Yumei, is a very energetic and excited Chinese student who wants to share her culture and traditions, shopping tips, and travel plans with those interested in learning from her.

2. Clowning Club – my resident, Harvey, is from Wales and pitched the idea of a club where voyagers will practice routines and then put on shows as clowns. When I suggested that he connect with the improve club he immediately scoffed at the idea and said that he is NOT interested in that haha I laughed it off and look forward to their first clowning show.

3. A sprinkling of the other clubs: Photography, World Language, Religious Affiliations, Women's Gathering, Meditation, Greek Life, Diversity & Inclusion Groups, Board Games, Jam Band, etc.

Jan 7
Classes begin! So what does this mean for me and why am I excited? Answer: A schedule. I appreciate all of the work that goes into making sure that everyone on board is oriented and hears information about the many programs and resources available. But that is chaotic and requires a lot of energy from me as a leader in this community. Having classes in session means slower mornings and productive afternoons answering emails and planning programs on the back deck watching the sun set from a lounge chair in shorts and a t-shirt.

This also means that I have a regularly scheduled Student Life meeting at 14:00 everyday. Our team of eight gathers and talks about student concerns, upcoming programs, and rumors that we've heard from students. The best rumor yet was that we would get to Hawaii earlier than planned. While that sounds like it could be possible (just go faster), that would cause a huge wrinkle in port access and costs. So, that is unlikely happen…ever.
Extra hour – This was the first night that we gained an hour! This becomes a trend and one that I LOVE. When I sailed on the Spring 2011 voyage we lost an hour about half of the days at sea and it's fair to say that I like this way much better.

Jan 8
Rough seas – Our captain made an announcement on the evening of Jan 7 that we would hit rough seas overnight and he was right! He is Russian and speaks few words that are heavily accented and most certainly assertive. Some students were very concerned and planned to sleep in each other's cabins/take medicine + wear their wristbands, etc. My piece of calm to those students was that a special announcement was made because it was happening overnight, which is a time when we can look out our windows and see nothing but waves crashing and have very few people to consult since everyone is sleeping.

This is also the day where I took a dose of medicine for seasickness and needed 20 mins of horizontal time on my bed. Luckily, that's all it took and I was back to normal. Walking around with sea legs and holding railings like it was my job.

Life is starting to become a bit more routine.

My schedule for today was:
09:30  Global Studies (attend and lead occasional reflection groups)
11:00  Workout then shower
12:00  Lunch
12:30  Evening programs schedule planning
14:00  Student Life Team Meeting
17:00  Meet security officer to check out keys to Student Life Office
17:30  Dinner
19:00  Add/Drop classes opportunity for students
21:00  Movie night in the Kaisersaal Union (Finding Nemo)

I met a pretty cool student on Jan 9th. I can't wait to share the story with you!

XO Kayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment