Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Orientation and Training

Have you ever been excited and exhausted at the same time?! If you have, you know my life right now. 

Jan 2, Land Day 1
After a last minute Costco run with my mom, I rushed on to the ship with no time to spare. I schluffed my VERY large bags from the port to the gangway and then to the Reception Desk and finally to my cabin. I was sweating and thankful to see 4045. That's my room number! I'll describe my cabin in more detail later but you should know that I am sooooo appreciative and thankful for the opportunity to sail again. I'm convinced that I have the absolute best cabin configuration possible. And, my cabin location is super ideal. 

Orientation started and I was inundated with information, introductions, and a to-do list. We have an amazing and very accomplished faculty and staff! There are 57 of us in total and 47 additional family members, or companions, sailing along as well. As a shipboard community (including students), we represent  39 countries!

Some stats about our shipboard community:
580 students
219 Universities
80% female / 20% male
62% students applied and received aid
3.42 GPA of students onboard
39/50 US states represented
176 crew members representing 18 countries

Jan 3, Land Day 2
Orientation bright and early...until dark and late! The training and preparation has been top notch! I appreciate Colorado State University and Semester at Sea staff for their dedication to ensuring we as staff and faculty are prepared and ready to set sail. 

The bonus? I got to connect with SO many voyagers from Spring 2011. The community that Semester at Sea provides is unmatched. Our ship nurse, advancement coordinator, life long learners, executive dean, assistant executive dean, and their family members were all on board for alumni meetings and to help the spring 2019 staff and faculty prepare. What a treat!

Double bonus?! I've always known that UCSB is a special place with a special community. What I didn't expect was to reconnect with so many here in San Diego while on the ship. I loved seeing friends and colleagues that all love Semester at Sea and committed to joining for alumni meetings and parent orientations onboard before the Spring 2019 voyage. 

Jan 4, Land Day 3
More orientations and reconnecting with crew members who are still around from when I first sailed back in 2011. I was surprised to see Troy from the Purser's Desk, Rosa and Crispin who are cabin stewards, Vijay from the bar, and Linval who is the most joyful waiter and his sidekick Alphonso who sings throughout the day. The crew members are all amazing and so very selfless. 

At the conclusion of orientation we got a gift. 2 hours off the ship! I met up with two fellow Resident Directors and we walked to an Italian restaurant for pizza and sat outside by the fire to enjoy what would be our last meal of choice until January 12th when we dock in Hawaii.

We had our first lifeboat drill after the ship was cleared of all guests and then we set sail! I took a time lapse of us leaving the port and can't to incorporate it into a video of the entire voyage and my travels in country. 

More updates to come!

XO Kayla 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment