Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A Day in Mauritius


March 11
Mauritius, Field Program
The Luxury Meets Sustainability Field Program
Myself, 3 other TLs, and approx. 100 students visited the University of Mauritius. We heard a lecture about tourism from one of their faculty members in the Law and Management department followed by a short tour from a current student. We then drove about 45 mins to the beach where we stopped at a 4-star hotel for lunch and a tour. We then had 3 wonderful hours to lounge at the beach resort. I hopped on a quick video chat with Jeremy and was able to check in on people via social media.

We did have two students from my program finish the day in observation due to intoxication, which was unfortunate. The number of students who drank while on their field programs reached over half (although we will never have an exact count).

After realizing that I didn’t want my day to end with duty or monitoring the line on the gangway, I found Christian and asked if he would leave the port with me. We had just 45 mins and managed to run (sandals and bathing suit!) to the waterfront and had a blast! We ordered mojitos with additional shots of rum and they did not disappoint. We stood for the Mauritian, American, and French national anthem and danced with the owner. We left just 5 mins before on ship time so the waiter helped us catch a cab and negotiated the fair.

It was perfect. With less then 60 seconds to spare, we made it back to the ship and I finished the night by talking with 3 of my students on the back of deck 7 as we left the beautiful country of Mauritius.

I am thankful for friends like Christian who are always up for a fun time, even without a plan!

Students having class
Talking about marine life and beach erosion
At a 5 star hotel

These views don't get old

My afternoon on the sand

Port View

Super green, reminds me of Dominica

Visited the University
No on-campus housing
Very few international students
Free for Mauritians!


Adding these to my bucket list

All the palms

That's the western most tip of Mauritius

Next stop, Cape Town, South Africa!


No comments:

Post a Comment