Saturday, January 29, 2011

Brazil.....

the place where Portuguese is spoken but Spanish is understood. And boy-oh-boy did my little bit of Spanish came in handy!

Here is a recap of my time in Manaus, Brazil

After a long day of sightseeing and shopping in the downtown markets I was tired and ready for dinner. Everyone had been talking about this Samba thing. I was expecting the Samba to be a performance. We heard that they block off the street and that there are performers but it was way more than that. It was an all out celebration, fun-filled, dancing extravaganza! There was a band, think drum line status, and Brazilian dancers everywhere. There were drums, noise makers, tambourines, and whistles. The community came out and so did Semester At Sea (SAS). Everyone danced and had a blast, even our Dean’s and Directors. It was already hot/muggy outside and by the end I, along with everyone else, was dripping with sweat and considered it my cardio workout for the day.

The next day, we decided that we wanted to go to the zoo. After asking the hospitality desk about the zoo and local attractions, we found out that the zoo was closed for the day. Bummer. But we had heard that there was a really nice hotel where some SAS students went and used the pool for free. We decided to try that too and took the city bus to the resort. We got off the bus and walked down a long path to the resort. Walked in and read all of the signs (while acting like we knew exactly what we were doing/where we were going). We walked outside and there was an infinity pool overlooking the water. Gorgeous! Spent the day there and then managed our way back on the city bus to our ship and was in for the night.

Thank you Mom and Mrs. Heely for making me take Spanish 3 even though I cried and was convinced that I would fail. And thank you Sears for giving me the opportunity to practice my numbers while working the cash registers. It really came in handy when negotiating everything from cab fares to bargaining for souvenirs.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! Pia knows how to count to 15 and I feel like I'm a stupid public school kid that can only count to ten. lol

    ReplyDelete