Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Life !

Shipboard life is exactly how I want my life to be….Amazing! The first couple days we had orientation for the WHOLE DAY=boring. Some people were seasick and had to run out of the union (main auditorium) and the rest of us fell asleep. I know it sounds bad but it’s true. The information was very repetitive because we had to take an honor code online quiz and a drug and alcohol online quiz before coming so they had nothing new to tell us. But, we sat there anyways.

I sat in orientation (knowing it was also being played on the TV down in my cabin) because of a couple reasons..1. I am an RA and felt it necessary to set a good example 2. I love people watching so when I wasn’t dosing off (or resting my eyes as Papa says) I was looking at all of the different people 3. I wanted to make sure that I didn’t miss anything aka the stories about what people did, said, and how they acted.

After orientation we had sea meetings. Each portion of a deck is labeled as a sea and a color. The deck that I am on is the Baltic Sea and our color is light blue. We have a Sea Olympics towards the end of the voyage and my sea is sure to win! At our sea meeting I am in charge of the meet-n-greet portion so I organized a game to play. Everyone put a name tag in a bag and then I gave everyone the name tag of someone else and they had to find that person, introduce themselves, say one thing that they are excited about and one thing that they are nervous/scared about for this voyage. Everyone loved it and played along.

Life at sea is relaxed…just the way I like it. For breakfast there is usually French toast, pancakes, potatoes, fruit, cereal, bagels, English muffins, an assortment of pastries, and cottage cheese/yogurt. For lunch there is sandwiches, lettuce/mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, sometimes bell peppers, sometimes carrots, two types of dressing, bread rolls, cheese, pasta, potatoes, chicken, fish or beef, and a vegetable dish. For dinner we can usually assume the same as lunch except with dessert…There is also a late night snack which is leftover sandwiches and leftover desserts.

Class. I have four classes on one day and none the other which is nice but tiring. The boat constantly rocks back and forth which puts me to sleep quite easily. I have to seriously focus while in class or else I would be sleep in a minute. I can’t stay awake for a movie or to read a book so you can imagine for difficult it is to stay awake in class. BUT good news…my classes are really cool and I look forward to them!

1 comment: